Forums  ›  Dolphin 6.1  ›  General

Integrating phpbb3 with Dolphin 6.1.x

So this seems to be a popular request. I almost have the phpbb.aemod file rewritten to work with an existing install of Dolphin 6.1.4 - It's easy to integrate if you have no members and you integrate it from the start, but what if you have members on an existing install of Dolphin.

The hard part for me has been getting my existing members to transfer to the phpbb3 database feilds. I am making a lot of progress and will keep this thread updated.

I have gotten most of the errors taken care of, but this one has me puzzled so far. Something to do with the member ID in Dolphin transferring to the ID in phpbb3 I think. Any help here?

phpbb FuncUpdate error: mysql_query(INSERT INTO phpbb_users 
SET `user_type` = 1,
`username` = 'their username',
`user_password` = MD5('0ec2c6aa699b58c751923ea28fef823c'),
`group_id` = 0,
`user_rank` = 0,
`user_email` = 'xxx@xxxxx.com',
`user_regdate` = UNIX_TIMESTAMP('2008-09-27 23:48:52'),
`user_style` = 1,
`user_lang` = 'english',
`user_dateformat` = 'D M d, Y g:i a',
`user_sig` = 1,
`user_allow_pm` = 1,
`user_allow_viewemail` = 1,
`user_allow_massemail` = 1,
`user_allow_viewonline` = 1,
`user_id` = 4)

Duplicate entry '' for key 2

I got one member to move from Dolphin to phpbb3, but it set them up as an inactive member. I am not familiar enough with phpbb3 to know what setting to change to automatically set them up as Active members, or maybe the aemod file needs a 0 turned into a 1 somewhere.

Corrected that, after you disable registrations, and auto-authenticate then the user was active. However, the rest of the users have no transferred due to the above error

Not sure how long you have been a member of Unity or around there, but there was a guy a while back that joined and was pushing a free phpbb3 integration with dolphin. Now at the time there were some active members that had phpbb3 mod for dolphin that they were and probably still are selling at expertzzz. So the guy ticked off some of these folks. They argued back and forth for a while. He would say do this, and they would say don't do that you will mess something up. I really didn't want to get into it with them. I just sat back and followed it a little in my spare time. Then, within a few weeks the guy was gone and I don't think exists anymore. Guess maybe he just wanted to make a statement or stir something up.

Maybe you seen some of his old forum and blog posts. Some have been deleted, I kind of remember him asking boonex to remove some blogs.

He has a google blogspot blog that doesn't seem to be updated anymore with his phpbb3 info yet. The links to his zip files no longer work, but there is still some info and code available yet at this link:

Maybe it will help you out or spark some new ideas.

I never messed with it. I thought I downloaded the links on the blog that no longer work at one time. I might have them on my computer somewhere but would have to do some serious digging to find them. The post was dated July 6, 2008 so almost 4 months now.

I am almost done, I don't want to piss anybody off though. And I don't know that I could describe in one thread all of the changes I had to make

He must not have it right yet, the link to his forum is dead..

If you go to his site, then to the forum link you do get a phpbb3 forum but it's missing the dolphin navigation. I suspect that it is still only phpbb3 or dolphin. Looks like there probably is a few things to work out yet.

I can get it to show up within the Dolphin site, but I only did it using iframe. It doesn't work that great because of the scroll bars in phpbb3 and the scroll bars for the main site. I am trying to do it another way without using iframe

any ideas?

I need something to dynamically set the height of the iframe and it would look ok. I tried using some javascript to determine the pages height then pass it along to the iframe, but could get that working. The problem is I can use:

scrolling='no'  width='100%' height='1550'

but you can't set height to 100% with iframes - so if a page is only 250px tall then you have a lot of wasted space

There was someone that had a mod to auto-resize a page for iframes. Unless I was doing something wrong I could never get it to work right. It was a simple mod, and if I remember right it was something to do with javascript too.

I used to have one for this old script I used to run. It worked great with that script but I don't even remember where I put it any more to see it would do anything in Dolphin.

Do you know anything about framesets? I was thinking of trying to use a frameset instead of iframe

I haven't really messed with framesets in a long time. Brings back the good old html only days of thinking up new thoughts and ideas.

Only thing I remember about framesets aside from them being somewhat annoying was, once you entered a page/site with a frameset the entire site was contained in the frameset. You couldn't bust out of it unless you left the site.

By that I mean if you were to have phpbb3 in a frameset and, then a visitor decided to click on your regular Dolphin links it would display within the frameset. Sort of seeing your site within your site. Iframe will do this too if you are not careful and some of it can't be avoided. I don't know if you could use the target="_top" tag maybe to bust out of it, but if that was the case it might be a lot of work just to change all the links for something that you weren't sure if it was going to work. But again I haven't messed with frameset in a long time now, and never really tried any of it with dolphin.

Is phpbb3 not working out so well for you? I know people used to do phpbb2 with iframe and previous versions of dolphin used to integrate pretty easy with dolphin. That was quite a while back now though.

The problem others had with phpbb3 was not getting it to display in dolphin so much as the database integration. From what I understand phpbb3 changed a few things when the went from version 2 to 3.

It's working much better than orca did. I just need a little help with the code for the forum.php page - I either need to fix the iframe or find an alternative - I am waiting on a couple of programming buddies to get back to me with some options.

I am still going to leave the forum installed in a external folder /forum/ so that the search engines can find post easier as my forum.php page doesn't change titles no matter what page you look at.

If I get it I will be sure to update you

Finally got the iframes sorted. Used java to determine the content height and pass it to the iframe

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/iframessi2.htm <- I bet the fix on expertzzz you talked about that somebody charges for, is simply pasting this into your base-> header.html -> under the other java fixes -> it will search each page for an iframe then see if you defined it by id

Then follow step 2 and just add the iframe like this as the javascript calls for id (you can list multiple id's) I chose to just stick with myframe for now, but later if I need another I just add myframe2

$ret = "<iframe src='/forum/".$after."' id='myframe' scrolling='no' marginwidth='0' marginheight='0' frameborder='0' vspace='0' hspace='0' style='overflow:visible' width='100%' display='none'></iframe>";

It works perfectly!!!!

This one I actually used on another older script a long time ago. It was the previous version of the code listed on the link you provided. Kind of weird that you mentioned this one. It does work great in internet explorer and decent in firefox.

The side scroll bars and bottom scroll bars do show up in firefox 3x anyway. Nothing terrible and probably do-able for most. Another example of how these 2 browsers do things differently. Go figure. It didn't matter what I changed they still showed in firefox. I was able to reduce them slightly by editing the line in reference to firefox in the code, but it didn't make them go away totally

I wish these browsers would come to a better agreement of how they do things. And then there are the other browsers who knows what they might do...opera, safari, and chrome.

Well, that is what I like about the script. The following code is why I finally decided to try it.

//Should script hide iframe from browsers that don't support this script (non IE5+/NS6+ browsers. Recommended):
var iframehide="yes"

var getFFVersion=navigator.userAgent.substring(navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Firefox")).split("/")[1]
var FFextraHeight=parseFloat(getFFVersion)>=0.1? 16 : 0 //extra height in px to add to iframe in FireFox 1.0+ browsers

function resizeCaller() {
var dyniframe=new Array()
for (i=0; i<iframeids.length; i++){
if (document.getElementById)
resizeIframe(iframeids[i])

I did play around with this line:

var FFextraHeight=parseFloat(getFFVersion)>=0.1? 16 : 0 //extra height in px to add to iframe in FireFox 1.0+ browsers

And managed to get the scroll bars on some pages to look better, less noticeable or to disappear. It could also have something to do with the height and width of the page I was testing. I just iframed my orca forum as a test. It didn't like external pages to other sites that well either. I tired yahoo, google, youtube just for the heck of it. Seems like firefox don't like that so well either.

A while back I forget what exactally I did, but I kind of remember making a custom header like header2.inc.php and/or _header2.html in some combination to make a custom content page and display. I was very board that day.

Forums  ›  Dolphin 6.1  ›  General