Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedIn

Upgrading PHPSome people look forward to upgrading their computers, software, or other devices. I used to look forward to new versions and features, but lately I haven’t been as tuned into upgrading as I used to be. I guess it depends on what it happens to be, and what it might involve.

I don’t usually have a problem with a quick 5 or 10 second upgrade where you just push or click a button and it’s pretty much a done deal. Although I am not so quick to upgrade as soon as it is available.

Usually they tend to be fairly smooth, but there are certain programs that tend to get worse, freeze up, crash, or just do strange things after upgrading. Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash seem to be the most common culprits lately. I am getting to the point that I don’t even want to upgrade them anymore.

The other concern I had was upgrading PHP. My host had been sticking with PHP 5.2.x for quite awhile, but I had a feeling that one of these days they would upgrade to 5.3.x. Well that day arrived recently, and without warning I might add.

One day my web sites are running near perfect, as expected anyway. The next day that’s another story.

I went to sleep one evening with everything running normal with PHP 5.2.x. I woke up the next morning to find errors plastered all over the place, and one site wouldn’t even load at all.

When I saw the Warning: mktime(): It is not safe to rely on the system’s timezone settings I was fairly certain that they had upgraded PHP. I made a quick phpinfo file to verify, and sure enough it was PHP 5.3.14.

I must have told my host 4 or 5 times that the timezone wasn’t set in php.ini and they should do so. Eventually I manually set it in a file because I was getting tired of seeing the mktime warning all over my sites. Whether they finally set it server wide or not I gave up on telling them.

There were a number of other warning / errors I fixed or at least ended up hiding for the time-being.

I was using a slightly older version of one script in particular that I really didn’t want to upgrade because it has so much content. I had been putting it off because I wasn’t sure exactly how it might turn out. And, I knew it would be a lot of work.

After spending hours trying to get everything back to normal, I told myself this is enough of trying to fix all the PHP 5.2.x to 5.3.x issues. I finally decided to just upgrade the old script and get it over with.

Anyway after about 7-10 days worth of additional work everything is near normal again.

All the extra work I had to do just because of a PHP upgrade was crazy though.

On top of that I was in the middle of working on a project I had to set aside until I got all the errors and upgrades finished.

I am not looking forward to a PHP 5.4.x and above upgrade, and I sure hope my host doesn’t plan on doing this any time soon.

I have a few more things to get caught up on, but it looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel now. Hopefully in the coming weeks I will have more free time available to post more frequently.

About: Jeremy LeSarge - AKA: Ray (212 Posts)

I am the site owner and administrator of DialMe.com. I provide help and tips for Boonex Dolphin on the main part of this website where you will also find an assortment of other resources. Here, on the blog I write about a variety of topics surrounding WordPress, technology, social media/networking, SEO, and webmaster resources.